Rodents are small, but they can cause huge issues in your home, plus their droppings can spread disease. To prevent an infestation from happening, here are some tips for how to protect your home from rodents, especially in winter when they are most likely looking for warm places to burrow.
- Place door sweeps at each entrance and make sure all screens are intact.
- Screen vents and openings to chimneys.
- Inspect the outside of your home for any cracks or holes, and fill in any you find.
- Store all food in airtight containers and make it a habit to take out the trash frequently.
- Keep attics, basements and crawl spaces ventilated and dry.
- Replace loose mortar and weather stripping around basement foundation and windows.
- Get rid of moisture sites, such as leaking pipes and clogged drains that could attract pests.
- Carefully look over boxes, grocery bags and other items before bringing them into the house, especially if they were stored in a garage or shed.
- If you have firewood, store it at least 20 feet away from the house and keep nearby shrubbery well-trimmed.
If you want to be extra cautious, or you’ve already experienced unwelcome visitors, contact K&C Pest Control. We can help recommend pest proofing techniques or eliminate ones that have already found your home. Call (920) 582-9000 for a free quote.